Uninstalling existing antivirus programs: McAfee Personal Firewall Plus 2004
||Before you set up Windows Live OneCare, please make sure
you completely uninstall any existing antivirus or firewall program that may be
on your computer.
This step is very important no matter what protection software
you use, because installing one antivirus or firewall program over another on
the same computer could potentially lock up the computer.
Note: If you would like to keep the ability to reinistall your old antivirus or firewall program in the future, make sure that you have the original product CD (or a backup disc of the program) before you begin uninstalling.
How do I uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall Plus 2004 5.0?
- Click Start...
...then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
Note: If you are in Category View, now click Remove a program.
- A list of the programs installed on your computer will appear. On the left side of this window, the Change or Remove Programs icon should be selected. If it is not, click the icon once to select it.
- Find the McAfee product (e.g., "McAfee Personal Firewall Plus") in the list. (There may be a second McAfee product, SecurityCenter, also in the list. We’ll get to that in a moment.)
- Click the McAfee entry to highlight it, then click the Change/Remove button.
- After the program removal process is completed, you will see the list of your computer's programs again.
- Highlight "McAfee SecurityCenter" (if it is not highlighted already), and click the Change/Remove button.
- Click Yes in the "Are you sure...?" dialog box that appears.
- When this removal process is done, you will see a message that says "McAfee SecurityCenter was successfully uninstalled…" Click the Restart button to restart Windows and complete the removal of the old software.