Uninstalling an antivirus or firewall program
||Before you set up Windows Live OneCare, please make sure you completely uninstall any existing antivirus or firewall program that may be on your computer.
This step is very important no matter what protection software you use, because installing one antivirus or firewall program over another on the same computer could potentially lock up the computer.
How do I find out if I have existing antivirus or firewall software on my computer?
Note: If you would like to keep the ability to reinistall your old antivirus or firewall program in the future, make sure that you have the original product CD (or a backup disc of the program) before you begin uninstalling.
How to uninstall a program
- Click Start...
...then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
Note: If you are in Category View, now click Remove a program.
- A list of the programs installed on your computer will appear. On the left side of this window, the Change or Remove Programs icon should be selected. If it is not, click the icon once to select it.
- In the installed programs list that appears, find the antivirus or firewall program that you want to remove.
- Click the program name to highlight it, then click the Remove button (or the button may say Change/Remove).
- Click Yes or OK in any "Are you sure...?" dialog boxes that may appear.
- Once Windows finishes uninstalling the software, you will be advised to restart your computer in order to complete the process. Either click Restart in the Windows dialog box, or close the dialog box and restart Windows manually to complete the removal of the old software.
Before you install Windows Live OneCare, make sure you have reviewed the installation requirements and release notes.