Introducing Windows Live OneCare, the new all-in-one, always-on PC care service from Microsoft. It works quietly in the background on your computer, so you don't have to worry about nasty interruptions from viruses, spyware, hackers, and other unwanted intruders. It also goes beyond security, regularly backing up all your important files and cleaning up and tuning up your PC to help keep it running at top speed. Because you have better things to do with your computer.
All-in-One Protection and Maintenance
Windows Live OneCare helps protect your computer, and its automated optimization features keep your PC running at its speediest. OneCare even regularly backs up your important files. You get all this in one convenient package:
- Protection Plus, with its antivirus and antispyware scanners and managed, two-way firewall, helps protect your computer from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, hackers, and other threats. It runs continuously in the background, but you can scan individual files and folders for viruses on demand simply by right-clicking them. You can even scan attachments you receive via Windows Live Messenger or MSN Messenger.
- Performance Plus regularly defragments your hard disk, removes any unnecessary files that can clog your PC, and helps make sure important security updates from Microsoft are installed efficiently and on time.
- Backup and Restore regularly copies your important files and settings to CD, DVD, or external hard disk.
- Instant Support provides online help anytime you need it, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Easy to Use
Windows Live OneCare constantly thinks about your computer's safety and maintenance--so you don't have to. OneCare communicates the status of your PC's health in the notification area of your Windows taskbar:
A green icon means your status is Good. Protection Plus features like antivirus and firewall are up to date, your computer is not due for a tune-up or a backup, and there are no actions to take requiring your attention. Windows Live OneCare is running in the background, monitoring your system to prevent threats like viruses or spyware.
A yellow icon means your status is Fair. Usually this means you have an action to take, such as scheduling or running a tune-up or backup, or downloading a non-critical update. A yellow icon means there is no immediate threat to your system, but you should take care of the action as soon as you can to return your system to green.
A red icon means that your computer is At Risk. This can happen if, for example, Windows Live OneCare is unable to update Protection Plus with the latest virus definitions because of a lost Internet connection, or if the Windows Live OneCare Firewall is turned off.
Always On and Automated
Windows Live OneCare works continuously, automatically, and quietly in the background on your PC, ever vigilant against threats but never in the way, allowing you to have fun and be more productive:
- Performance Plus is just like taking your car in for regular servicing, but with Windows Live OneCare, the service is automatic. During the tune-up, OneCare performs routine maintenance such as defragmenting your hard disk and cleaning out obsolete files to help improve your computer's performance.
- Backup and Restore makes it easy to protect your important files. You can back them up to the location of your choice: external hard disk, CDs, or DVDs. No matter which type of backup you choose, Windows Live OneCare reminds you when your files need backing up and can even back up your files automatically if you use an external hard disk drive.
- Windows Live OneCare updates itself automatically to counteract new viruses and other threats and works with Microsoft Update to help ensure that your computer is up to date with the latest critical security updates from Microsoft.
Evolves to Meet Your Needs
Windows Live OneCare provides continuous feature updates to subscribers, providing you with the latest technologies to help protect you from emerging threats. No more worrying about different versions of your antivirus software. With Windows Live OneCare, you get automatic updates and service enhancements the moment they're released.